Licensing News and Opinion

Refusing service to drunk

Answer written by >

Peter Coulson

Share This Answer:

Refusing service to drunk


I work in a bar and last week there was a private function and gentleman had been, I believe, drinking excessively, taking full advantage of the pre-paid wine bought in for the party. He requested another bottle of wine, which I refused on the basis that I thought he was too drunk and asked him to sober up a bit. When I informed a co-worker, she told me I had no right to refuse him as it was a private function and no money was being exchanged. Is this true?


While it is true that there is no specific offence of permitting drunkenness, or supplying alcohol to a drunken person, rather than selling it, there are offences of permitting disorderly conduct (including drunkenness) and of 'obtaining alcohol for a person who is drunk'. In either case, this would apply to circumstances where the alcohol was not bought at the time but was being delivered for consumption as part of a contract of sale or a pre-arrangement. I therefore think you were quite right to refuse additional service in these circumstances, because evidence of drunkenness on the premises could certainly lead to a review of the licence and should never be either condoned or encouraged.

Answer written by: Peter Coulson | 30 April 2012 - 16:24

View all Answers written by Peter Coulson

Search News & Opinion

Signup to our Monthly Newsletter

Ask Peter Coulson

Q&A with Peter Coulson

Must everyone hold a personal licence?

Q: " Can the police or licensing panel insist that all staff members hold personal licences, or dictate who can… "

A: " It would be unusual for a licensing committee to go beyond the terms of the Licensing Act in… "

Drinks for friends after hours

Q: " A DPS serves drinks - paid for before closing and bought from a shop - to members of… "

A: " The problem here is the impression which can be created if this conduct is observed or noted. While… "

Is transfer consent essential?

Q: " I have a situation whereby a premises licence holder is in dispute with the landlord, the landlord wants… "

A: " This is a tricky point of administration which has been raised with me before. Similar situations did arise… "

Unstamped glasses

Q: " I work as steward in a sports and social club. A colleague in the licensed trade has told… "

A: " There is in fact no requirement for clubs with a premises certificate to have government stamped measuring equipment,… "

Who is an authorised person?

Q: " We had an unpleasant incident over the Christmas period involving a local councillor who has expressed strong views… "

A: " It is true that there have been changes to the licensing laws which now allow councillors to be… "
Peter Coulson writes:
You can contact me for basic legal advice or to clarify your situation by email at or by completing the “Ask Peter” box above. I regret that I cannot handle telephone enquiries and for more complex issues I shall be happy to pass you on to an experienced trade solicitor or professional as appropriate.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here or you may close this and continue