Licensing News and Opinion

Steward and the law

Answer written by >

Peter Coulson

Share This Answer:

Steward and the law


How do I stand as a club steward if one of the committee members orders me to serve someone who is drunk? Is the law the same as it would be in a pub for me and my staff?


Under the new Licensing Act, requirements regarding such actions have been extended to clubs operating under a club premises certificate, and to all persons who are either selling or supplying alcohol, including club stewards and staff and even members who take on responsibility for the bar at certain times.

It is therefore appropriate to apply these rules to everyone within a social club because you and your staff could risk prosecution, and so could members of the committee who are responsible for upholding the licensing laws themselves.

An instruction from a committee member in the course of employment which effectively contravenes the law should not be complied with. If any disciplinary action was taken, you would be entitled to take the matter to a tribunal, if your job was at risk as a result.


Answer written by: Peter Coulson | 16 February 2012 - 13:24

View all Answers written by Peter Coulson

Search News & Opinion

Signup to our Monthly Newsletter

Ask Peter Coulson

Q&A with Peter Coulson

Must everyone hold a personal licence?

Q: " Can the police or licensing panel insist that all staff members hold personal licences, or dictate who can… "

A: " It would be unusual for a licensing committee to go beyond the terms of the Licensing Act in… "

Drinks for friends after hours

Q: " A DPS serves drinks - paid for before closing and bought from a shop - to members of… "

A: " The problem here is the impression which can be created if this conduct is observed or noted. While… "

Is transfer consent essential?

Q: " I have a situation whereby a premises licence holder is in dispute with the landlord, the landlord wants… "

A: " This is a tricky point of administration which has been raised with me before. Similar situations did arise… "

Unstamped glasses

Q: " I work as steward in a sports and social club. A colleague in the licensed trade has told… "

A: " There is in fact no requirement for clubs with a premises certificate to have government stamped measuring equipment,… "

Who is an authorised person?

Q: " We had an unpleasant incident over the Christmas period involving a local councillor who has expressed strong views… "

A: " It is true that there have been changes to the licensing laws which now allow councillors to be… "
Peter Coulson writes:
You can contact me for basic legal advice or to clarify your situation by email at or by completing the “Ask Peter” box above. I regret that I cannot handle telephone enquiries and for more complex issues I shall be happy to pass you on to an experienced trade solicitor or professional as appropriate.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here or you may close this and continue