Personal Licence Applications

Covering London, Essex and all surrounding counties of the UK, Dadds LLP Licensing Solicitors can assist in every step towards gaining your personal licence, including arranging the relevant personal licence holder training and processing and submitting your personal licence application to ensure your best chance of success in obtaining your new qualification.

Overview of a personal licence

The passing of the Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") established a regime for the granting of personal licences to individuals to supply or to authorise the supply of alcohol. The personal licence is separate from the premises licence which authorises the premises to be used for the supply of alcohol.

The licensing of individuals separately from the licensing of premises permits the movement of personal licence holders from one premises to another, allowing greater flexibility. It ends the previous outdated regime where publicans were tied by licences to the premises where they work. The Act also provides the police and licensing authorities with powers to deal with errant personal licence holders.

The personal licence relates only to the supply of alcohol under a premises licence. An individual will not require a personal licence for the other licensable activities, the provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment, or for the supply of alcohol under a club premises certificate or temporary event notice (although personal licence holders will be able to give 50 temporary event notices each year instead of the limit of 5 for non-personal licence holders).

Can a personal licence holder authorise any alcohol sales?

A personal licence does not authorise its holder to supply alcohol anywhere, but only from establishments with a premises licence authorising the supply of alcohol in accordance with the premises licence. An individual may hold only one personal licence at any one time.

Can there be more than one personal licence holder at a premises?

All premises licences authorising the supply of alcohol must have an identified personal licence holder known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). This ensures there is always one specified individual who can be readily identified at a premises where a premises licence is in force. This person will usually be responsible for the day-to-day running of the premises. More than one individual at the licensed premises may hold a personal licence, although it is not necessary for all staff to be licensed, but all supplies of alcohol under a premises licence must be made by or under the authority of a personal licence holder.

How long does it last?

A personal licence is issued and continues to valid unless the licence holder has not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence, in which case the personal licence maybe subject to review.

What is required?

Applicants for personal licences will need to obtain an accredited qualification first. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol. Personal licence qualification providers are accredited by the Secretary of State.

Related Guides

Find out more

Call us today on 01277 631811 or use the contact form on our site for more information on how Dadds LLP Licensing Solicitors can help you.

Scroll To Top